Thursday, January 3, 2008

Asia first impressions

There's something I feel I should admit to everyone. You see, the thing is, if someone had told me last year that I would be ringing in 2008 in Asia, as part of a 1 year round-the-world trip, I would have said they were absolutely, certifiably nuts. Crazy, no doubt about it. I've never had a burning desire to visit Asia. The opposite actually if I want to be truthful. I even remember discussing travelling to Asia with someone and saying it sounded like my worst nightmare. Way too crowded and too many people for someone not 100% comfortable in crowds. Plus being a picky eater, Asian food is not my favorite. Yet here I am, 1 year later and I'm travelling on my own through South East Asia. Crazy!

Then why am I here, you may ask yourself? Basically this trip has been my opportunity to push myself a little bit (or a lot), to get out there and live life a whole lot differently than my usual 9 to 5 (or in my case 7 to 5) job + watching TV. I want to see exotic places than I might not feel up to seeing when I'm retired, if ever.

All that being said, I was a bit anxious and worried about starting the Asian part of my trip. Hoping that I would adapt well and enjoy this part of my itinerary, since it does represent a huge chunk of my time, in theory. I arrived in Singapore, dubbed "Asia for Dummies" in the Lonely Planet, a bit nervous, exhausted and somewhat overwhelmed.

I definitely felt odd and out of place during my first few hours of walking around. Being a visible minority and not understanding the language being spoken around you is quite the change for me. Then I realised that Singapore is basically just another big city with 1 very clear passion: shopping. The malls are absolutely everywhere, and were very crowded while I was there. I can't say if this is because of an After-Xmas shopping blitz, but whatever the reason, they were packed. Some Singaporean call shopping their hobby or favorite sport, while most tourists seem very happy to spend all their time shopping.

Since shopping ISN'T one of my passions, it seemed to me like there wasn't much to do. I visited/shopped in Little India, visited/shopped on Orchard St., went to the Night Safari (basically a night zoo), visited a museum, and made an aborted attempt at visiting Sentosa Island, Singapore's version of an amusement park/beach resort. I was just so exhausted and hot, I ended up going to the movies instead (yay!!!).

Still, I ended up being happy about my time in Singapore. It gave me a chance to adapt slowly to being a visible minority, and being stared at for some other reason than just my weight. I got the chance to rest a bit as well, taking it easy and recuperate from my time in hot & sweaty Australia.

That's it for now. More on my time in Malaysia later, I've got to go catch a bus!

5 comments:

Johanne Lowson said...

Janie,

Are you still taking pictures? I'd loved to see some new ones since the ones you already posted from NZ and OZ were great.

8 more dodos and I leave for Bangkok. Can't wait to see you!

Later gator,
Johanne.

Réjeanne et Normand said...

Bonne Année Janie,

Je te souhaite moins de bébittes et d'humidité , c'est surement ce que tu désire le plus et de faire en Asie de belles découvertes ce que je suis sur tu feras. En tout cas, tu m'as appris plusieurs choses sur l'Australie, un gros merci. J'ai bien hate de te lire pour tes prochaines étapes. Peut-être que l'on se verra au Vietnam en mars (j'espère)...

A bientot,
Réjeanne

Isa said...

Bonjour à toi! J'aime bien te suivre à travers ton périple et j'ai bien aimé regarder tes photos! Tu es radieuse! Je t'envie et surtout je te trouve bien courageuse! Tu me surprends beaucoup! Continue à t'amuser... j'aimerais bien vivre la même chose un jour! Isa xxx

Unknown said...

Ohh Janie, your trip sounds amazing and so much fun to read.

I am so sad you did not love Singapore. I guess you need to be more of a night bird to trully enjoy it (life starts after malls are closed ... although I really miss Takashimaya a great deal ... an high tea at Raffles) but after being through so many places already, you have a complete other perspective then I had when I was there.

Enjoy your time with Johanne, I am sure you ladies will have a blast.

It's my first time writing, but I have been logging frequently and reading you with .. I must admit ... a lot en envy :)

Au plaisir,

Sophie

patricia said...

allo Janie,

je viens de voir tes photos de la malaisie. C' est beau. Continue d'en profiter et de prendre de belles photos, tu me fais voyager de mon salon!!
à bientôt
Pat