Sunday, January 27, 2008

Malaysia whirlwind - Part 2

Hey all! I'm still backtracking, trying to catch up on my blog entries. Not bad, after this one, I'll only be about 2 1/2 weeks behind... In the meantime, I'm having a great time with my sister in Thailand. I'm sure I'll have more free time to update the blog when she leaves, so for now, bear with me!

My only plan for the first few weeks in January were to somehow make my way through Malaysia & into Thailand, in time to meet with my sister Johanne on the 13th. Without any previous planning or researching, I realised while in KL that it is very easy to find the best spots, since people seem to travel in almost set itineraries. As I quickly discovered and was recommended by most people I met, my next obvious destination was the Cameron Highlands, up in the mountains near the middle of Malaysia. It would be a nice break from the heat and pollution of KL, as well as being on my way to Thailand.

I took another VIP bus, this one not as luxurious as the previous, but still better than our own "Voyageur" type buses at home. I got to Tanah Rata, my destination, late in the afternoon, so my only activity on my first day was to watch a movie in the common room and luxuriate in my 3$/night dorm. I took pictures of the room for you all, it looks like barracks made out of tole. Still, for that price, I got a bed, blankets & no bugs, so I am not complaining.

Being in the mountains, it was much colder than it had been for me for the past month and a half. I actually took out my hoodie from the bottom of my backpack and made good use of the blankets they supplied.

The next day, I booked a sightseeing tour to visit the surrounding area. I had a great time, seeing the most beautiful landscape, with terraced farms and tea plantations. I don't recall ever seeing such beautiful shades of green! The tour also brought us to the highest point in peninsular Malaysia (which means excluding Borneo and the islands), on a mini-trek through a mossy forest and to visit a local tribe of orang Asli (meaning original people) who still live in very basic conditions in traditional Malay homes.

It was a full, fun day. I loved the mini-trek through the mossy forest, and felt like a jungle explorer when the guide brought us through trails that barely looked wide enough for a monkey, let alone me! I'm not sure about visiting tribes or local people in their homes though. It felt very odd to me, and somewhat like an intrusion into their lives. The kids put on a show for the tourists, but it feels "off" to me. I'm not sure I'd do that again...

Of the 8 people on the tour that day, every single one of them was planning on going to Pulau Penang the very next day (see what I mean about set itineraries?). That's where I was off to next, along with a couple from the tour. The others decided to take an earlier bus, but now being very lazy in the mornings, as well as not being in any rush to get to Pulau Penang, I decided to sleep in a little, in as much as you can sleep in in a barrack with 11 other people...

Pulau Penang is an island off the northwest coast of Malaysia. Georgetown, the most popular destination on the island, is a colonial town built in the early shipping days. It has a worn-out English feel. I spent 2 days sightseeing, one of which I spent with a fellow traveller from the Netherlands. We did all the touristy stuff, such as visiting the museum, the fort and going up on the lookout hill. It was good, and definitely gave me a bit of the feel of smaller Malaysian towns. The roads are packed with motorcycles, buses, tuktuks and cars and there are no sidewalks to speak of. Crossing the street remained a challenge for me, and I mostly managed by taking my cue from other people. I am getting quite good at directions, even managing to direct my taxi driver to my hostel on my very first moments in Penang. And although I'm still not the most adventurous eater there is, I've managed quite well. I've had good (and very cheap) meals at food stalls on the street, and has no regrets!

That's all for my time in Malaysia. I only spent 9 days here, but I think it was a great way to continue on my journey in Asia. It felt more foreign than Singapore, with different sights, sounds and smells, but at least I could read street signs and menus, as they are written in our own alphabet. Next stop: Thailand!

1 comment:

Renée said...

I love reading all about your travels. You write very well so much so that you almost feel like you're there enjoying the sites, the people and even the colors. I'm glad to hear that you are eating well even though like you mentioned everything is different but still very edible and also cheap. There was no doubt you and Johanne were going to have a very good time together. Like I read somewhere “beauty is meant to be shared” so I’m glad you have your sis there with you. Have fun girl and be safe.

Miss you both,

Renée