Sunday, May 25, 2008

China wrap-up

(*I've posted 2 entries today. Make sure you read the previous one first)

Beijing was a surprise to me, much more 'Western' than I'd imagined. Maybe it's because I'd had a whole month in China already before arriving there and was now 'used to' China, but Beijing seemed very much like another big city that could have been anywhere. Lots of designer shops, western food and huge shopping malls. That being said, it still was pretty cool to see the city a few months before the Olympics. They are still very much at work getting the place 'spruced up', with tons of renovations and construction going on all around. There are so many flowers and greenery around, that you can *almost* forget that you are choking on smog all day. ;-)

I spent the first 2 days sightseeing with my friend Jennifer, who'd already been in Beijing a while when I got there. We saw the Summer Palace (the highlight was the 'pedalo' around the lake), the Temple of Heaven (lots of Chinese doing ballroom dancing around the park in the morning) and the Olympic Stadium (aka The Bird's Nest). After she left, I spread out my sightseeing over the next few days, visiting Tienanmen Square, the Forbidden City and last but certainly not least, the Great Wall.

I chose to do a 10km hike on the Great Wall, that brought you to a less busy and less restored part of the Wall. I'd heard about this hike from a lot of travellers along the way, with everyone saying that it was a hard day, but definitely worth it. As usual with anything requiring a certain level of fitness and being done in a group, I was nervous about doing it, but thought if I'd managed Mt. Huashan the week before, I could probably handle the Great Wall.

In a group of 20 or so, we were driven more than 3 hours away to the start of our hike of the Great Wall. Just so you know, the Wall is NOT a flat surface. It goes along the tops of hills and valleys, and is separated by towers every few hundred meters or so. It rises and falls before and after each tower and there were 32 towers to cross on our 10km walk. I was completely out of breath, heart pumping away and sweat drenched before even arriving at the first tower. Man, this was going to be hard, I thought. But honestly, once you get into the groove of climbing up a tower, than going down on the other side, it wasn't that bad. It was definitely hard, but I thought it was easier than the constant climbing of steps at Mt. Huashan. A lot of people were passing me on the uphill parts, but then I would pass them as they were taking breaks once up top. I was happily settled somewhere in the middle of our group and really enjoying myself.

At just about the halfway point of our hike, the wall starts sloping downwards a little bit, so the climbing is not as hard but the downhill parts are still very rocky and a bit dangerous. I was merrily walking along on one of the very rare flat surfaces of the Wall when my right ankle twisted a bit and I fell down. Those who know me well know that I ofter fall down, so I didn't think anything of it at first. I started to get up, but felt something wet on my left leg. I lifted up my pant leg to see BLOOD GUSHING OUT OF A HOLE in my knee!!! I stared dumbfounded for a few seconds, watching the blood pour out and puddle on the Wall below me. I couldn't understand it, cause 1) it didn't really hurt 2) I had no clue how it had happened 3) it wasn't a scratch, it was an honest to goodness hole in my knee! After a minute or so, the blood stopped pouring out and it was only just leaking, but I still really didn't know what to do. I just sat there and looked at it.

Finally, a group of French that I'd been passing and being passed by during the first half of the Wall came along and helped me. Out came the antiseptic wipes and tissues, and they did a good job of cleaning my knee up. They looked a bit anxious, and their tour leader ask me if I wanted her to go get my tour leader, but really, there was no point as there was nothing he could do. By this time, the very last person of my group had caught up with me, and it turns out she is a nurse. She supervised a bit more cleaning of the wound, slapped on a few bandaids and helped me up.

I can safely say that the 2nd half of the Wall was all a blur to me. Once I started walking back, the adrenaline left my body and the knee started hurting. I just kept repeating to myself: Keep going, don't stop, keep going, don't stop... At one point, I was at the back of the pack with an English family, with 2 girls in their early 20's. One girl was such a complainer, whinging the whole time, that she actually made me feel better. I was pleased with myself that I was being quite stoic, not like her, I could just hold it in now and complain later on in my blog :-) My little 'accident' also helped me get over my fear of zip lines. At the end of this portion of the Wall, you had a choice of walking another 40 minutes or so, or taking a 30 second zip line across the river. Needless to say, I chose the zip line. I was petrified the whole time, didn't really enjoy it I must admit, but I did it. There, another first for me.

So, like my sister Johanne said when I told her my story, I left my mark on the Great Wall of China that day (in the form of a nice puddle of blood), and gained a new souvenir as well. I just wish my souvenirs would take a different form than scars, I'm getting quite the collection now...

So, that wraps up my time in mainland China. I'm now in Hong Kong, getting ready for my African adventure with Melissa. I've taken it easy the past few days, read through all my Harry Potter books (sniff, sniff), and have had time to update the blog (yay!) and reflect a little bit on my time in China. All in all, China wasn't nearly as hard as I had expected it to be. My favorite part was the Yunnan province in the south, where it was a bit more rural and looked a bit more like what I expected of China. But still, I'm not saying it was a complete breeze. Not a day went by that I didn't have a communication related challenge, or I wasn't left scratching my head wondering if we all live on the same planet. Here are a few of my favorite stories:

- The spitting: you sort of get used to it after a while, hearing men AND women spitting like they were hacking up their lungs, but still, it's no fun... I was sitting in a restaurant in Lijiang with my Dutch friends, when we all heard that familiar sound, that hrrrraaaa sort of sound that precedes the spitting. A look of horror crossed all 3 of our faces when we realised it was going on just a bit too long, longer than usual. I turned around to look at the source of the noise, only to realise it was a cappuccino machine!!!

- Chinese helpfulness: Because we don't speak the same language, a lot of the Chinese look a bit panicked when you approach them for anything. They're worried you'll ask them something and that they won't be able to help you, I think. That's why I always brought along directions in Chinese wherever I went. But sometimes, you get people that can't help themselves but wanting to 'help' you, even if you don't need it. Case in point: I managed quite well to get myself to the Emperor's tomb in Xi'an via public transportation, with a few directions written in Chinese and instructions from my hostel. After visiting the museum and site, I expected to get back the same way I came and got on the bus that had dropped me off at the museum. The ticket seller didn't speak any English and panicked when I pointed to where I was going (the tickets are sold based on your destination, so you have to tell them where you are going). Knowing I came from there just that morning, I knew I was on the right bus and didn't need any help to go back, but the girl seemed worried I'd get lost or didn't know what I was doing. The whole bus started speaking Chinese, all looking at me worriedly. One guy spoke both Chinese and English, so he tried to reassure the ticket seller after I told him I knew what I was doing. She charged me a random price (cheaper than that morning), but I thought nothing of it. Off we went. No more than 10 minutes later, still very far outside the city walls, the bus stopped and a few passengers got off. Both the bus driver and the ticket seller looked at me, waiting. I shook my head no, this is not my stop, but they were insistent. Another Chinese man intervened, said he'd 'help' me to get where I wanted to go. Even after insisting to them that I didn't need help, I knew quite well where I was going, they wouldn't hear any of it. I eventually had to get off the bus, only to be 'helped' by a man who really didn't know any better than me how to get back to my hostel. Every time a bus came by, he'd look at the sign to see if it went anywhere near where I was going, but he was so slow, the bus would leave before he could be sure. I finally just pointed to a big double-decker bus packed with people and asked him if it went to the city center. It did, so I hopped on and figured it would get me close enough that I could walk the rest of the way from there. I was so happy to be 'helped' that day!

- Picture taking: I really still don't understand why some folks just HAVE TO get a picture of Westerners. I've had quite a few camera phone pictures taken of me, and some people just walk up to you and ask to have their picture taken with you. At Mt. Huashan, this girl just grabbed my arm, dragged my away to a nice viewpoint where a professional photographer stood, sat me down and had our photo taken. Why did she want a picture of us so badly she was willing to pay for it? Who knows...

- Being clueless: Because all the signs are in Chinese, you get used to being a bit clueless wherever you go. I just go about my business in my own little bubble, unaware of all the rules, explanations, history lessons, given by either tour guides or the little signs hanging everywhere. The same thing applies to restaurants, and the food they bring you. Having dinner at a renowned Xi'an restaurant with Michelle and Pierre after our day at Mt. Huashan, I was so starved that I instantly grabbed the bread-like hard cookie/cake thing they put on the table when we arrived. Halfway through the bread thingy, I see that I've caused a bit of an uproar with a few of the waitresses, all pointing at me eating and shyly laughing. They went to get the headwaiter, who then came and explained to us that what I was eating was in fact a raw bread cake, that is usually cut up in tiny pieces into a soup at the end of the meal. Who knew?

3 comments:

Johanne Lowson said...

Janie,

I love the story about the spitting a.k.a cappucino machine, lol.

Have fun with Melissa in Africa. Be careful!

Love johanne

jackie said...

Janie,

I like the bread story myself. It sounds like you are pretty zen about things now. Hope you bring some of that back home with you and share it with me.

Love Jackie

Réjeanne et Normand said...

Bonjour Janie,

ou es-tu ..on ne voit plus rien sur ton blog,,, dans quelle région es-tu...

Réjeanne